Thursday, February 5, 2015

Red Dragon byThomas Harris

Red Dragon is a novel that was written by Thomas Harris, and is the first book in the series of books Harris wrote about the infamous literary character Hannibal Lecter. Now, I absolutely loved the book and the movie "Silence of the Lambs". Even though Red Dragon is the first book in the series, I actually saw/read SOTL first. In my humble opinion, Red Dragon is the best book of Harris' that I've read.

The book begins following the life of retired FBI Agent Graham. Graham had a rough life in the FBI, so he retired. But, a new serial killer, dubbed "The Tooth Fairy", or known to some as "The Red Dragon", is on the loose, and the FBI recruits Graham to come back and face the skeletons in his closet, in order to hunt down the Red Dragon before he strikes again. Throughout the book, which is narrated from a third person POV, Graham learns a lot, not only about himself, but about his relationship with his wife, his comrades, his son, the infamous Hannibal Lecter, and the Red Dragon, as well.

I loved this book for many, many reasons. 

  1.  Harris did an outstanding job developing his characters. It's almost as if the book doesn't really revolve around a single character. He spends equal amounts of time describing and detailing the lives of his characters and analyzing their behaviors and thoughts. The only character that wasn't as developed as I'd have liked was, in fact, Lecter. He is briefly referenced maybe two or three times throughout the novel. So, if you're looking for a book solely about Lecter, this isn't the one for you.
  2. The story was so original, and there were so many plot twists, that I couldn't stop reading. All throughout Red Dragon, Harris develops his story and intertwines the lives of the different characters so effortlessly and clearly that I didn't ever have to wonder what was going on. The plot was so unusual, yet brilliant. I've never read anything like it. 
  3. Harris brings in elements from the real world. You can tell that he's done his fair share of research on FBI, legal procedures and jargon, serial killer behavior, and Asian Culture (I'm sure since you saw the title of the novel that you assumed it had some kind of oriental influence, but if not, there is). Although he uses legal jargon, the story is easy to understand.
  4. The ending threw me for a complete loop. Harris did a fantastic job of tricking me, and I love that whenever I'm reading a novel. The ending was completely unexpected and while it was not really original, it was freshly introduced and fit well with the story.
  5. Harris' writing is clear, concise, and to the point. You aren't left to interpret what he means by what he's said. (Well, maybe on the very last page, but it's really not all that bad, folks). He doesn't use fancy, flamboyant language throughout the entire novel; and why would he? This is a crime novel, not a Shakespearean sonnet!
Yes, there are many more reasons why I love this novel, but those are the BIG FIVE. (Since this is my first post, I'll go ahead and tell you that in my later posts, the Big Five will probably become a consistent element). 

SO, if you're looking for a gripping, thrilling, I-can't-put-this-book-down-help-me novel, then Red Dragon is perfect for you. I would not recommend this novel to anyone with a sensitive/weak stomach, because it is semi-graphic and there is coarse language used throughout. Anyone who has an interest in forensics, law, or even just plain out psychopathic killers, will love this book and the story that Harris tells.

I 10/10 recommend this book.


No comments:

Post a Comment