Saturday, November 5, 2016

The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson

If you've read any of my previous reviews, you probably came across one about the book "I'll Give You the Sun". After reading it, I fell in love with the quirkiness and brilliance that is Jandy Nelson. She writes in a way that is appealing to both young adults and grown-ups alike. I had previously thought that she had only written the one book. But, to my surprise, this gem is also in her bibliography. As I was browsing in Barnes & Noble, I saw it, and I had to get it. (Yes, HAD to.)

NOTE: I try to read and review books as objectively as possible. Therefore, I will not write this review comparing TSIE to IGYT :)

I'll start with a brief synopsis. "The Sky is Everywhere" is a novel about a girl named Lennie (Lennon) who has lost her sister, Bailey. She is lost without her, and so are her relatives Uncle Big and Gram, whom she lives with. As life without Bailey goes on, Lennie is torn between her grief and two beautiful guys. As the tagline of the book states, "One helps her to remember. One helps her to forget." Lennie discovers things about herself, her mother, her sister, and the rest of her family that she never knew, all in an attempt to celebrate her sister's life in the best way she knows how.

My favorite thing about this book is the subject matter and how it is approached. There are countless novels about grieving and losing someone that you love, but never one (that I've read) that has described it so beautifully. The way Nelson personifies Lennie's grief is so skillfully crafted that you can't help but feel her emotions yourself. (I cried several times.)

Nelson also addresses the idea of a nuclear family, and how one is not always necessary to be "normal" and loved. Gram and Big have their very own personalities and quirks, so not only do you feel close to Lennie, but you also begin to sympathize and feel the things that Gram and Big feel. Not to mention, Bailey is a character that, while not present throughout the novel, is developed so well that even without dialogue or an inner monologue, you feel as though you know what she would say or think at times throughout the novel.

As for negatives in "The Sky is Everywhere", it definitely feels a lot like a young-adult novel. There are some really cheesy, questionable dialogue choices a few times throughout the story, and the teenage characters (besides the main characters) are extremely stereotypical, which got annoying at certain points. There are two characters that lack development, and that I would have really liked to have read more about.

If you're looking for a novel that paints grief from the standpoint of a quirky, lovable teenage girl, then this one's for you. Also, if you live in a home without a nuclear family, or even if your family members are a little "out of their trees" (strange), then this book will be relatable and fun for you.

I recommend "The Sky is Everywhere" 7/10.





No comments:

Post a Comment