Sunday, April 10, 2016

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly by Jean-Dominique Bauby

I won't lie, this author is very unfamiliar to me. He is a French author, therefore I am not well versed in any of his other works, if any exist. But, they should, because I absolutely loved this story. This book was given to me for Christmas by my younger cousin who loves to read as much as I do. We often swap books, and I was lucky enough to get her favorite (this one) as a gift. She ensured me that my soul would be torn apart and I would sob until I couldn't breathe, but that I would enjoy every single minute of it. And boy, did I.

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly is a story about a man with a rare condition nicknamed Locked-In Syndrome-- I am unfamiliar with this condition, but the best way to explain it is that your mind is fully functional, but your body is not. In the story, the man suffering with Locked-In Syndrome finds a way to dictate his thoughts and feelings to an orderly who takes care of him in his room at a hospital in France. These writings are almost autobiographical, considering each chapter is in the form of the orderly's portrayal of his dictations. He relives past memories, spills his guts about his frustrations and longings, and sends messages to his family and friends through his dictations.

My cousin was right. I sobbed, but not because the story was particularly gut-wrenching. I sobbed mainly because of the nonchalant and direct way Bauby portrays the main character's thoughts. It really made me appreciate my ability to interact with others and the use of my body. The main character is a brilliant man, with many thoughts and feelings that are bursting to get out of his head.

The writing is simple, but it really evoked emotion in me that I haven't felt in a while. Bauby really gets you to sympathize with the main character and feel his frustrations as deeply as he does. That was one of my favorite parts of this reading experience--I got to feel what it's like to be trapped inside your own head.

The symbolism in this work is incredible. There are symbols that I never would have thought to use in a story like this that really make much more sense than at first glance. He uses a diving bell (an old device that I was unfamiliar with--look it up before reading) as a symbol of oppression, and butterflies as a symbol of freedom and love. These two symbols wouldn't fit together in the ordinary person's mind, but I think Bauby has established through this work that his mind does not work in an ordinary way.

I would strongly suggest picking this book up. It's a very quick read and it will make you appreciate things you usually wouldn't give a second thought to.

10/10 recommend.

No comments:

Post a Comment