Tuesday, April 12, 2016

The Forgotten Girl by David Bell

Ah, mystery: the perfect genre for escaping from reality for a while and letting your imagination roam free. I was in for a huge treat when I picked this novel out of the bargain bin at Books-A-Million (and it had no business being in there, in my opinion!) But, I'm really, really glad that I did, because I am usually hesistant about YA mysteries, simply because they've become so very cliché, and one can almost predict the ending. But this book? No way.

The Forgotten Girl is a YA mystery about a man and his wife who were reunited with some family that they hadn't seen in a very long time, and for good reason. This couple, by welcoming family into their home as everyone would, become a part of a huge missing persons case, and they are tasked with solving the biggest mystery their tiny town has ever seen. High school haunts, childhood bullies, and troubling memories from their past are all revisited, and you won't ever guess the culprit in their case.

I'll start by saying that this is probably one of the better mysteries I've ever read, YA or not. And on that note, I'll also say that I personally think that this novel could be better classified as an adult novel, simply because some of the plot points and relationships examined are unfamiliar to general teenagers. That was one of my only problems with the book as a whole.

Bell does an incredible job developing his characters. Everyone has a back-story, and while sometimes that can be time-consuming and seem irrelevant to the plot, the way Bell develops them is crucial while being very interesting at the same time. There is also a lot of differentiation and variety in the character pool--some are young, some are old, and each has their own set of quirks, thoughts, and attitudes.

While the plot developed a little more slowly than I usually like, it really ended up being for the best. The drawing out of the story really helped build necessary suspense, and I was kept guessing until the very last couple of pages. There is a resolution, but it isn't customary or ordinary by any means. It kept me on the edge of my seat, and there was no predictability whatsoever. That may be unappealing to some, so if you prefer to know where the plot is going (and if you do I'm concerned for your sanity.. just kidding), I wouldn't recommend this page-turner to you.

Overall, this book really gave me an enjoyable reading experience. It took me about three days, but not because I wanted to put it down. College can interfere with a person's reading-for-pleasure schedule, ya know. Bell isn't a well renowned author, but I think he should be, because he is a very good writer and storyteller. I would recommend this book to anyone who loves a crime or mystery story, young adult to senior citizen.

I recommend The Forgotten Girl 8/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment