Wednesday, April 13, 2016

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

If you are a living, breathing human being, you've probably heard of The Hobbit, or maybe you've heard of its counterpart, The Lord of the Rings. No, you don't have to be familiar with either, but I can almost guarantee you've heard of it, and I recommend becoming familiar with both. After being forced by my boyfriend to watch all three Hobbit and all three Lord of the Rings movies, I was dead set on reading the book (simply because I am a literature lover, and I rarely see a movie without first reading the book. I am ashamed).

So, because I am sure you've at-least heard of it, I'm not going to bore you with the synopsis of the story--I am simply going to let you read it, because it's a treat.

The Hobbit was originally written by Tolkien, like so many of his other works, for his children. He was influenced by English adventure stories and European mythology, as you can see in almost all of his works. He loved writing stories for his children. The Hobbit just so happened to be one of the few that were published. You can clearly tell his intended audience throughout the story--it is full of magic and funnies that children would appreciate more than adults. However, don't let that fool you or discourage you from reading--adults enjoy this work almost as much, if not more than, children.

My favorite part about this book was the bright descriptions Tolkien offered of all the characters and places that were visited. Word painting comes into play here--you can almost perfectly visualize each and every character, whether it be the hobbits, the wise old wizard Gandolf, or the ghastly goblins that serve as one of the main antagonists in the story.

Another one of the pleasantries Tolkien included was an Olde-English inspired vernacular adopted by all of the characters. It is very interesting to read some of the dialogue and imagine it being said aloud in your head by a majestic Elf King or a dwarf.

Overall, the story is incredibly fun to read, and it took me about two hours to finish it. It is easy to understand and an enjoyable reading experience. However, if you aren't into fantasy or stories of that sort, then you probably would not enjoy it as much as I did.

It isn't a brain teaser, or a mystery, or a complex novel about the history of Middle Earth (hehe), but it is a beautifully imaginative, child-like reading experience that will force you into nostalgia and have you rooting extremely hard for the dwarves and the hobbits. Children would love it, adults would think it quirky and fun, so overall, I think anyone who has an interest in fantasy should pick up this quick read and give it a go.

I recommend The Hobbit 7/10.


No comments:

Post a Comment