Friday, July 22, 2016

She Came From Beyond! by Nadine Darling

I'm usually a fan of books that have fun, exciting plots, or just plots in general. I mean, what's a book without a plot? Note: when I say "plot", I mean some kind of fluent story line where things actually happen. Sadly, She Came From Beyond!, Nadine Darling's debut novel, in my opinion, lacked any semblance of a plot.

The book is about an affair between sci-fi TV star Easy Hardwick, a rough-around-the-edges girl who lacks poise, and a man she meets on a message board named Harrison. Harrison is married with children, and Easy ends up pregnant by him WITH TWINS, and also inherits the two kids and a crazy ex-wife. You may think, "Oh! You're spoiling it!" but trust me, I'm not. I read all of that from the get-go on the dust jacket.

Now, a crazy affair and some kids caught in the middle may seem like a plot, but in reality, it felt as though I was reading a really wordy autobiography. Let's start with the one high point of the novel:

Harrison. The main male character was the high point, and this is because he was developed really well. It surprised me that the other characters lacked such development, making them extremely one dimensional and boring.

Now comes the bad: the most shining error Darling made was the corny, cliché dialogue that riddled this book. Every other line I had heard before, and every situation the characters were caught in has been done before--maybe even overdone. There was nothing "funny" about Easy's humor, lifestyle, or quips--it was all just really trashy and uninteresting. The children were stereotypical, as well. The young teenage girl was a stereotypical goth/emo teen, with black fingernails and dyed hair who hated authority and everyone else. The younger kid was a stereotypical little boy with grimy hands and cheap, overdone lines.

Darling did a fantastic job of making something as disgusting as adultery even more sleazy. The language was crude and over-used, the characters were cheap stereotypes, and the plot was, as I mentioned before, nonexistent.

If you want to trudge through a boring, crude book, then this one's for you. But, if you enjoy a good read, then I suggest staying far BEYOND this shelf in the library. (See what I did there? Hehe)

I recommend 1/10.


No comments:

Post a Comment