Thursday, July 7, 2016

The Hanging Woods by Scott Loring-Sanders

Woah. I haven't read a book this twisted in a very long time. I picked this up from the YA section of my local library, and I didn't realize what a treat I was in for. The Hanging Woods is set in rural Alabama, in a mill town just outside of Lafayette. The main character is a young boy named Walter, and he has two very close friends, Jimmy and Mothball, who hang out every day and go on adventures. Their adventures eventually get them into trouble, and their polar opposite personalities begin to conflict--all the while, they are discovering things about their own families, their friends' families, and themselves that they never thought could be possible. Horrible, terrible things.

This plot line was completely original, and it kept me on edge the entire time. I wouldn't call it a fast read, but I read it really quickly simply because it was so interesting and I didn't want to put it down. The way the plot develops, with all its twists and turns, is so captivating. I couldn't predict what would happen next even once.

Sanders really did a fantastic job of inciting a relationship between you and the characters. I can promise you that you will love and hate and fear these characters, but all at different times of the book. Who turns out to be good? Who turns out to be insane? You'll only know if you read! Hehe. The way the characters are developed is very simple and easy to follow, but it's also complex enough to give you insight as to why they feel the way they do and do the things they do.

THE ENDING. OH MY GRACIOUS. The ending is the highlight of the book. It is one of the bigger plot twists I've read this year. Everything about it is completely and totally sensible, but you never guess it throughout the reading experience. It really is the climax of the book, and while I usually don't like it when the ending is the most exciting part, it works really well here. You'll never guess what happens.

The only fault I found in this book was the vernacular and the way it was adopted. Coming from a town about thirty, forty five minutes from Lafayette, I know how us Southerners speak, and the vernacular used throughout the book is exaggerated and almost comical. It portrayed the characters as "hillbilly", and I didn't like the way it was used, NOR DID I APPRECIATE IT. HMPH.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book. I wouldn't call it a murder-mystery, but I would definitely say that it was a thriller. It starts off slow with development, but if you give it a chance to fully develop and just let the story roll, you will not be disappointed!

I recommend 8/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment